With the holiday season in full swing, the last thing on any company leader’s mind is a Google algorithm update. But it is now, with a multitude of consumers turning to the Internet for their holiday gifts, travel plans and ideas, that it is important to keep track of these refreshes and adjust accordingly.
hello panda refresh #22
On November 21, Google ran refresh number 22 on their search engine algorithm update, Panda. This refresh, which effected 0.8% of English inquiries, was designed to eliminate spam that ranks high on Google’s search engine results. With these spam websites out of the way, companies can step up their SEO/SEM strategies to not fall prey to Google’s quality control:
- Refresh your content. Refresh your website’s content with the Panda refresh. This will help keep Internet users interested in what your company has to say. The more engaged a consumer is, the more likely they are to comment on or share your material, essentially boosting your company’s SEO.
- Stay social. Don’t forget about your social media sites. Regular status updates with news, information or a holiday promotion or two can help boost your company’s online marketing.
- Advertise, advertise, advertise. The holidays are the best time of the year for Internet or Google ads. Consumers turn to the Internet for gift ideas, product purchases and holiday items. Last year, alone, consumers spent nearly $1.1 billion on Cyber Monday. Take advantage of these numbers and subsequently develop an SEM plan that works.
- Stay on target, your target market, that is. Don’t just look to target new, potential customers this holiday season; keep your loyal and old customers in mind as well. Drive old customers back to your business with your online advertisements while bringing in new customers.
- Keep an open mind. During the holidays, consumers are more likely to purchase products or services that they normally wouldn’t during the rest of the year. So, don’t be afraid to advertise fishing and hunting gear to women or fragrances and jewelry to men. Exclude your exclusions!
Staying on top of your website’s SEO/SEM ranking requires attentiveness, awareness of Google algorithm updates and refreshes and SEO/SEM strategies that work.