Paula & George Roberts were united in marriage on morning television Friday, June 25, 2010 – at Smashburger’s Stone Ridge location. The event, conceived and produced by esd’s public relations team, got continuous coverage from 5 a.m. to 9 a.m. on KABB-TV’s Fox News First. With additional coverage on radio and social media, the event earned more than $120,000 in calculated publicity value.
During the 4 hour news and weather broadcast, KABB aired more than 60 minutes of the Smashburger wedding LIVE, including the vows, first dance, cutting of the Smashburger wedding cake and the toast. KABB meteorologist Shaun Stevens interviewed Smashburger’s Mike Griffith, the San Antonio Food Bank’s Eric Cooper, the florist, wedding planner, minister, and Paula & George’s daughters during the telecast.
The event – the first Smashburger wedding ever held anywhere in the U.S. – got more than 100 plugs on KABB. The wedding was also covered by WOAI 1200 AM radio, members of the San Antonio Social Media Club and savorsa.com. Contest promotion, vendor participation and wedding invitations were all sent via social media.
Paula & George won the wedding by posting a video about their love for each other and their love for Smashburgers on smashburgerwedding.com, designed and hosted by esd. In addition to the free wedding, the couple will celebrate their honeymoon in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The bride and groom were not the only ones to benefit from the event. Wedding guests brought canned goods and Smashburger donated $1,500 to the San Antonio Food Bank. The donation will provide more than 10,500 meals for families in need.
The trip and all of the wedding decorations, music, services, flowers and food were donated.
- Smashburger San Antonio hosted, catered and sponsored the event, providing the location, reception and honeymoon travel
- The Mirage in Las Vegas donated a honeymoon suite, dinner at Kokomo’s and tickets to Terry Fator’s “Ventriloquism in Concert”
- A Regal Affair, led by Jennifer Jasiczek, provided wedding planning services
- Erin McLarty of Eden’s Echo created flower arrangements and the bridal party flowers
- San Antonio Rentals & Party Planning, managed by Patty Lujan-Gonzalez, provided linens, a photo booth, dinnerware and chocolate fountain
- Photographer Jeremy Gilliam of Dallas flew in to shoot creative, unforgettable images of the wedding
- Hilda De Hoyos of Salon Diva provided hair and makeup services
- Mission Food Supply provided wedding favors – meat smashers
The thrill of assembling so many people to benefit the Food Bank and give one couple a once-in-a-lifetime wedding created widespread attention for Smashburger, our client, raising their visibility in the competitive food service industry, winning new fans and garnering excellent publicity.