FAMILY FITNESS FOR
A WHOLE CITY
San Antonio Sports pumps energy throughout our community, promoting athletics at every level. A vital part of their activity motivates kids with a series of programs through the school year promoting fitness through fun. With funding from the Kronkosky Foundation, San Antonio Sports engaged esd to push the series through the summer and engage the whole family. We created the Fit Family Challenge.
Social initiatives traditionally grapple with limited budgets. esd has developed a “community collaboration” strategy that brings corporate and non-profit interests together for common purpose, maximizing each organization’s efforts and stretching resources.
combining skills and partnerships
esd combined its talents, developing a lively, attention-getting campaign that inspired an effective team:
- School districts hosted regular events for participating families to attend
- World Champion Boxer Jesse James Leija served as our Fit Family Challenge head coach
- Spectrum Athletic Clubs and other corporate partners provided incentive gifts and major prizes
- WellMed Medical Management encouraged “grandfamilies” – families with grandparents as heads of household – with incentives and promotion
- Media partners included the San Antonio Express-News, printing thousands of journals families used to track their progress, and WOAI-TV, who put a face on the campaign with a series of broadcasts featuring the Castillo family as they learned about a healthy diet (shopping with a nutritionist, doing a cooking segment) and regular exercise (at Coach Leija’s boxing gym)
Throughout the campaign, esd’s public relations crew scoured the city and its calendar, finding collaborative opportunities (such as Wonderland Mall of the Americas’ Soccer Month) for attention-getting events.
contemporary social media and traditional shoe leather esd made the campaign work, combining advanced techniques (an active web and social networking dialogue) and traditional community relations (sustaining a regular drumbeat in the media) to achieve outstanding results and help thousands of families discover the joy of fitness.